Uploading Pages

Having problems getting your files onto the web ? Don't pull your hair out, try here !

Moderators: BobCP, agsone, Neil Parks, gregtutor, Lem3

Uploading Pages

Postby DieHard on Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:15 pm

:cry: I have a problem with how to upload pages before publishing them to my site. I made the adjustments - I updated info - them I published the pages but, when I went to the site to see the updated info - everything was same before I republished the page. It defaulted to it's org way the site was created. Nothing changed.

Can anyone help me with this issue and walk me thru the process?
DieHard

Re: Uploading Pages

Postby gregtutor on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:25 pm

Are you aware that the Publishing module is very broken in KompoZer (Just search this forum!)?

The regulars here always recommend using an external FTP program, such as FileZilla or the Firefox edd-on FireFTP.

For other ideas/links take a look at BobCP's guide at:
http://www.wwslalom.net/kompozer/ftp.htm
Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Helping new users of KompoZer - but using BlueGriffon
gregtutor

Postby wink0r on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:47 pm

Even if the pages did upload properly you may need to refresh your browser or in some cases delete browser cache to see the changes. A browser will often load a page from your local browser cache if you have viewed it recently.
Last edited by wink0r on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wink0r

Postby DieHard on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:08 pm

I tried to reload page and empty the cache - but no success. I wondering if the settings in the publishing tab have to certain data so my FTP - Fetch can upload the page correctly?
DieHard

Postby DieHard on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:46 pm

Is nvu discontinued - should I use Kompozer
DieHard

Postby DieHard on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:56 pm

Forget that last message
DieHard

Postby wink0r on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:08 pm

KompoZer is a later version of NVu with some bugs fixed and some more development work done on the code base. KompoZer 0.7.10 looks the same as NVu. KompoZer 0.8b3 has some minor UI changes and works with later Linux distros as well as Windows computers. You can download from: http://www.kompozer.net/download.php

When uploading files to the server you must be sure that you are uploading to the right location. Depending on how the FTP is set up the first screen that you see may be the hosting space root folder. If there is a Public_HTML folder or a www folder that is the case. If multiple sites are hosted in the space there may also be a site folder that you need to open. If you see a Public_HTML folder on the server you will need to open that directory. If there are multiple sites you will possibly need to open the site directory from within the Public_HTML folder. (If there are multiple sites the Public_HTML folder will contain the files for the primary site on the hosting space but there will be sub-folders for other sites also hosted on the hosting space.)
wink0r

Postby DieHard on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:45 pm

Thanx for the info - my FTP server I'm using is Fetch because a Mac. The file/folder that is used is WebPages1 from the hard drive where the pages are stored. Then I transferred them into Fetch. From the settings & publishing tab it seems to me that everything is ok. As before I mentioned that when I publish the page - it says that it is completed with no errors - but nothings gets updated. Should I try Komperzer and Filezilla to upload the pages?
DieHard

Postby gregtutor on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:42 pm

I'm not a Mac user, but assume Fetch is very similar to the two programs seen at the link I posted earlier.

If that's the case then "transferred them into Fetch" suggests some misunderstanding of the process. You don't copy/transfer/move files into an FTP program. You just "view" them.

Normally the left pane shows the local folder (on your computer) and the right pane the remote folder (on the server). You then copy the files from one location to the other (usually by dragging, but sometimes by selecting files and clicking arrows that copy one way or the other - Allow for some delay as the file is uploaded and sent half way round the world).

Providing you are copying the files to the correct location you will see the original version of the files. Confirm you are viewing the right location by checking the date/time stamp of the file in the right-hand pane.

If you are still seeing day old versions of your pages in your browser AFTER refreshing the page, then again check time stamp for the files in the right pane. If it shows dates only minutes old (allow for any time zone difference for your server) that confirms you are not looking at the right folder on the server you've uploaded them to the wrong place. You need to edit those settings so you see your day old files on the right pane.
Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Helping new users of KompoZer - but using BlueGriffon
gregtutor

Postby agsone on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:28 am

While I think Fetch is a very powerful ftp client I don't think it is the most intuitive. Filezilla has been available for the Mac for a few years now and was always a top recommendation for Windows and has the classic two-pane approach where you can see the local files and server files all in the one window.

Personally I've never wavered from using the FireFTP add-on for Firefox on my Mac (or Windows for that matter). Two-pane, easy to set up and use and right there in your browser. If you ever move on from KompoZer to BlueGriffon you'll find you can use FireFTP from right inside that program.
agsone

Postby DieHard on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:15 pm

I finally connected to the server - with help from my webhosting - using Filezlla. Before when I couldn't connect the info of the ftp - I had - in the setting was - ftp-dom.earthlink.net. Webhosting worked with me to create a new site - ftp.soundinproduction.com. Now after upload the updated files & try to publish them - it fails. When published them - ftp - dom - there were no errors - but nothing was updated.

Is there something I'm missing - do the setting need to be reconfigured - or is there something else - can anyone helo? :roll:
DieHard

Postby DieHard on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:27 pm

One thing I left out when I'm trying to publish with soundinproductions - it tellls me that the server is not availble - what dos that mean?
DieHard

Postby agsone on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:54 am

It does still sound like settings problems - I suspect more than one issue which is making it all the more confusing.

The failure to connect to the server one sounds like you have a wrong address or password. When you next try to connect keep an eye on the messages that scroll through the bottom (I think that's where they are on FileZilla, there will be a lot of incomprehensible stuff there but you usually see error messages in relatively plain English which will point you in the right direction.

If you did connect and successfully upload files before but didn't see them on your site it might be that you are uploading them to the wrong level. Usually there is a folder on the server called "www" or similar which is where your files go. That is usually not the highest level folder so it is possible you are going too high in the file structure (or too low and are creating a folder of files in www when there should be files only and no folder).

Trial, error, patience and using the hosts help system will get you there in the end. Good luck.
agsone

Postby DieHard on Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:18 pm

I trailed and error like you mentoined - the page publlished and was completed with no errors. But, to updating the page it stills doesn't happen - what I'm trying to update is the year - from 2011 to 2014.
DieHard

Postby BobCP on Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:57 am

Have you read the Troubles section of my hints page?

Also... You might consider having someone proof-read your content. I quickly found several spelling/grammatical errors that get past automatic checkers, and I am not an English major. Strunk and White is a good book for refining your writing.
BobCP

Next

Return to Publishing Q & A