Link appearance in HTML emails (on Andriod)

New to web-building ? Simple answers to "How do I . . .?"

Moderators: BobCP, agsone, Neil Parks, gregtutor, Lem3

Link appearance in HTML emails (on Andriod)

Postby pokeefe0001 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:05 pm

I used BlueGriffon to produce an HTML-formatted email. In general that means I have to use inline style specifications. I've just discovered (after doing this for 2 years) that my links are not underscored on Androids using the email app. (If there is more than one email app on an Android then I can't be more specific - I don't know which one.) Is there something I can do in the HTML source to change this?

I already sort of mess around with link specifications (creating a span that includes text formatting, then adding the link) which means the underscore changes color when the link is clicked but the text formatting stays the same. I could add underscoring to the text (which I assume would show up on the Android) but I don't know how to get the indication of read/unread to work.

Is there anything I can do in this case?
Patrick O'Keefe
pokeefe0001

Re: Link appearance in HTML emails (on Andriod)

Postby gregtutor on Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:59 pm

Google only supplies the Gmail app with Android. However most device manufacturer's produce their own additional email app aimed for use with non-Gmail addresses. On top of that there are many third party apps available on Google Play.

You're right! the Gmail app does not display the underscore on links.

I use the default Samsung email app on my tablet and "Bluemail" on my phone. Both of these programs do show an underscore on links.

I guess Google feels that an underscore on a small mobile screen only makes the text more difficult to read. My reaction is to say why force things to display on Gmail differently to every other link that you'll find when using that app. It will just confuse your recipients!

I say that on the basis that I have never noticed this property of the Gmail app - and I would guess that nor have you until you became sensitised to it after checking your own carefully crafted emails.
Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Helping new users of KompoZer - but using BlueGriffon
gregtutor

Postby pokeefe0001 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:08 am

I don't have an Android. Someone complained about my "carefully crafted" emails so now I'm looking into it. :(
Patrick O'Keefe
pokeefe0001

Postby gregtutor on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:43 pm

Is the "Someone" complaining to everyone that sends them an email that includes a link suggesting they should fix it?

Since 2002 I've been involved with a project that develops a plain text email client for Windows Mobile devices (works on desktop Windows as well) and Google are nothing but a pain when it comes to following RFCs (i.e. Internet Standards). Our program has to include numerous patches to fix horrible things that Google does to emails.

However, there are times when it just isn't worth trying to fix their weirdnesses!
Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Helping new users of KompoZer - but using BlueGriffon
gregtutor

Return to Beginner Q & A