Kompozer incompatible with SANE scanner drivers!

Information on the latest release, bug reports, feature discussion.

Moderators: BobCP, agsone, Main_Dev, Neil Parks, gregtutor, Kaze

Kompozer incompatible with SANE scanner drivers!

Postby kenj69 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:29 am

I have been troubleshooting the inability for my Linux system to access the scanner portion of My Canon MX922 All-in-One printer. I am using KDE Neon (ubuntu based) and every time I go to install scanner software the dependencies listed say that Kompozer must be removed! This is mystifying to me and I am wondering why.

I really wanted to use Komposer but need for the scanner to work as well. Perhaps I will try to install Bluefish. Discussion welcome!

-=Ken=-
Linux KDE Neon 5.12 ASRock MB Ryzen 3 1200 Nvidia GT-710 16 GB RAM
Using Bluegriffon Editing configuration files on Mozilla Thunderbird
kenj69

Re: Kompozer incompatible with SANE scanner drivers!

Postby gregtutor on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:52 am

I have been running Linux Mint 17.3 since March 2016 but have never installed KompoZer, both because in isn't in the default repository but more importantly as it only supports versions of web standards that are 20 year old so just isn't suitable for the modern world.

I run BlueGriffon 1.7.3 as an acceptable alternative which is available from a reliable repository and the most recent version of BlueGriffon available from it and have had no problem running an elderly HP inkjet printer and Samsung mono laser printer without issues (other than minor ones associated with their non-HP drivers).

Is there any special reason for you needing to retain KompoZer as your web editing tool?
Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Helping new users of KompoZer - but using BlueGriffon
gregtutor

Postby gregtutor on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:55 am

Forgot to say I also run Bluefish without issues, but that is a very different advanced text editor with none of the WYSIWYG features of KompoZer or BlueGriffon.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby gregtutor on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:58 am

I also should have said the UP is one of their all-in-one scanner photo printer machines, not just a simple printer and SANE works just fine with it.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby kenj69 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:20 am

gregtutor wrote:Is there any special reason for you needing to retain KompoZer as your web editing tool?

I do want a wwysiwyg editor, for now, to edit html email templates for Thunderbird. My wife loves the email stationary provided on Incredimail for Windoze but it is rather lame now and poorly supported. The ability to wip out a new template would be great.

The genealogy of these older web editors is obscure to me. I believe it was nvu, then Kompozer, then Bluefish, ......then Bluegriffon? I installed some more scanner utilities and Kompozer had to go. Why, I don't know. What possible dependency is involved. OTOH, it is good that conflicts are known and resolved.

I went to the Bluegriffon website and downloaded the latest .deb file which is version 3.0.1 and got another surprise. I just migrated from a 3 year beginner stint with Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon DE and this KDE Neon has much newer and more frequently updated repos. However, it doesn't have Bluegriffon. So, no matter, I downloaded the .deb file, clicked on it and Discover Software Center pops up and offers to install. I click on Install and it runs VERY briefly but indicates it is installed. But then I can't find Bluegriffon anywhere in the Application Menu! So, then I try starting it in a terminal. After over filling the screen with many lines of "whatever" Bluegriffon shows up on the desktop. It does run - but what a method to get there!

I think I have a useable wysiwyg html editor but am a little baffled by the incomplete install. Would you recommend an older version?

Glad to hear you have a working scanner. The Mint forums and the ubuntu forums have numerous topics asking for scanner help. Canon seems to be prominent among them, MX922 AIO here.

This website advertises, right on top, "For nvu and Kompozer users." Do I understand that the other editors mentioned here are also supported? You have been quite prompt in your reply - which is greatly appreciated.

-=Ken=-
Last edited by kenj69 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenj69

Postby gregtutor on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:57 am

kenj69 wrote:
gregtutor wrote:Is there any special reason for you needing to retain KompoZer as your web editing tool?

I do want a wwysiwyg editor, for now, to edit html email templates for Thunderbird. My wife loves the email stationary provided on Incredimail for Windoze but it is rather lame now and poorly supported. The ability to wip out a new template would be great.
Ah! I come from the plain text email school (See: http://www.npopuk.org.uk) and regard HTML email as near evil, but I won't hold that against your good lady!
The genealogy of these older web editors is obscure to me. I believe it was nvu, then Kompozer, then Bluefish, ......then Bluegriffon? I installed some more scanner utilities and Kompozer had to go. Why, I don't know. What possible dependency is involved. OTOH, it is good that conflicts are known and resolved.

Daniel Glazman was commissioned to produce Nvu by a Linux distro. The project was taken up by "Kaze" as KompoZer. Copyright prevented use of the previous name. At some point Mozilla completely rebuilt Gecko (I think that was because it couldn't easily cope with HTML5/CSS3), which left Nvu/KompoZer needing a complete re-write. Kaze got work with Mozilla and abandoned work on KompoZer. Later Daniel then created BlueGriffon. Although open source it was always a commercial venture. Version 1 was funded through paid-for add-ons - although I found that I could do all I wanted without any of them, and I many found the same. Paying the licence fee for v2 onwards gets you all add-ons. As far as I know Bluefish has completely different origins is not related to any of the products with WYSIWYG features.
I went to the Bluegriffon website and downloaded the latest .deb file which is version 3.0.1 and got another surprise. I just migrated from a 3 year beginner stint with Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon DE and this KDE Neon has much newer and more frequently updated repos. However, it doesn't have Bluegriffon.

I had to add an extra Repo to get BlueGriffon and it had not been updated since 1.7.3 That suits me! When I used the 1.8 series under Windows it had some regressions in the code editor. The trouble with v2 which was only release after I moved to Linux is that in Daniel style it is developed on the Mac and initially had only a Mac-type dark theme too it which I found intolerable and the first attempt to add a light theme left some text on dialogues and menu options impossible to read. Also Daniel failed to sort out the registration issues I was having. (luckily it was a trifling upgrade fee for those who had bought a few add-ons to the v1 product), so I was happy to stick with 1.7.3 as I still had the add-ons I wanted from my old Windows installation and they worked with the Linux version.
So, no matter, I downloaded the .deb file, clicked on it and Discover Software Center pops up and offers to install. I click on Install and it runs VERY briefly but indicates it is installed. But then I can't find Bluegriffon anywhere in the Application Menu! So, then I try starting it in a terminal. After over filling the screen with many lines of "whatever" Bluegriffon shows up on the desktop. It does run - but what a method to get there!

As you see from the story above, I have no experience of the current version of BlueGriffon so can offer no help with that.
I think I have a useable wysiwyg html editor but am a little baffled by the incomplete install. Would you recommend an older version?

Certainly I am happy with BlueGriffon 1.7.3 for my purposes, which these days amounts to roughing out new site designs and relying on BG to generate good, tight, standards compliant HTML5 and CSS3 coded files. These days I then usually move to Bluefish to break the page down into separate header, menu, body and footer files and use PHP to build the final site. If your aim is just to produce email templates and are used to KompoZer then you will be very at home with the version of BG that I use.
This was the Mint Forum post that showed me how to install it:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=219265#p1149076
but I have since stopped updating that repo so possibly it will get you a later version now.
However, if you go to:
http://bluegriffon.org/freshmeat/
you can still find old versions there, including dictionaries and the xpi's for FireFTP.
Glad to hear you have a working scanner. The Mint forums and the ubuntu forums have numerous topics asking for scanner help. Canon seems to be prominent among them, MX922 AIO here.

I noticed that. I guess I was just lucky. Hopefully, moving to BlueGriffon 1.7.3 will get you a version that runs properly within your version of Linux and will help with scanner issue. I'm not an expert in scanners or problem solving in Linux generally. I still turn to the Mint forums for my Linux issues.
This website advertises, right on top, "For nvu and Kompozer users." Do I understand that the other editors mentioned here are also supported? You have been quite prompt in your reply - which is greatly appreciated.

BlueGriffon is the natural successor to KompoZer and it is actively maintained by its author. KompoZer has been abandoned. I did try to persuade the editors of the forum to change the heading but I fear that those with necessary permissions are no longer active on the forum so it may not be possible. Certainly, there was agreement among the moderators that we should support BlueGriffon.

There are a couple of us old guard left who still subscribe to all topics so get notifications of new posts. That's how I was able to respond fairly quickly.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby art0l0 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:10 pm

This forum is offered and hosted as a free service by a site, informe.com. As Greg guessed I can't find the capability to change the forum byline. You may have received an email or two when you signed up for the forum. The salutation line on those emails would be, "Welcome to WYSIFA Forum - NVu>KompoZer>BlueGriffon forums". I had hoped that changing that line would also change the byline.
art0l0
Site Admin

Postby kenj69 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:46 pm

art0l0 wrote:This forum is offered and hosted as a free service by a site, informe.com. As Greg guessed I can't find the capability to change the forum byline. You may have received an email or two when you signed up for the forum. The salutation line on those emails would be, "Welcome to WYSIFA Forum - NVu>KompoZer>BlueGriffon forums". I had hoped that changing that line would also change the byline.

Thank you, art010, for that information. I appreciate the nice support forum

-=Ken=-
kenj69

Postby kenj69 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:15 pm

Hi Greg,

Thank you for the comprehensive reply! Having migrated from Linux Mint with Cinnamon DE to KDE Neon I find the KDE forums, although large, to be spartan and many times responses take 2 to 4 days. It is nice to find people who are conversant!

I rebooted my PC and, looking again at the App Menu I noticed a new category named Lost & Found. And in it is Bluegriffon! So that works after all. Using v3.0.1 and not looking back. I set the Light Theme right away. Trouble is, there are a multitude of articles on line recommending people use nvu and Kompozer! Glad I got set right. Thanks for the genealogy lesson.

I am still pursuing my scanner problem. I say that SANE is driving me INSANE! :)

I look forward to spending more time here as I learn more about Bluegriffon. I know basic SGML/HTML but CSS is still to be learned.

Best,

-=Ken=-
Last edited by kenj69 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kenj69

Return to KompoZer Development