How to jump to a page depending on the position of the curso

New to web-building ? Simple answers to "How do I . . .?"

Moderators: BobCP, agsone, Neil Parks, gregtutor, Lem3

How to jump to a page depending on the position of the curso

Postby setnan on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:44 pm

I have many pictures from my many travels arouns the world.
I would like to present them by order of country.
And on the front page is a map of the world.
When you position the cursor on the capital of a country and click on the capital, you are brought to the page containing the pictures from that country.
How do I make this front page ??
setnan

Re: How to jump to a page depending on the position of the curso

Postby wink0r on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:20 pm

What you are looking for is an image map. There are online tools available but I have not used them so I have no personal recommendation: https://www.google.com/search?q=image+map+generator&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
wink0r

Postby gregtutor on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:50 pm

This is an interesting question. Like wink0r I immediately thought of image maps.

However, I also realised that I haven't seen any site that uses them in years and I wondered why...

It didn't take long to work it out.

Image maps are founded on the principle that images are always displayed at at their native resolution and that the active link areas, are then mapped to the coordinates that equate to the appropriate pixels.

The trouble is that in the modern world web designers usually set images to display at a size that is a percentage of screen width, often with a maximum width so that on large screens they don't get stretched too much making the image blurred. This allows both for small phone screens and huge desktop monitors.

Using an image map in the modern environment just doesn't work. Even if the visitor's browser does except the instruction to display at the native size, it's very likely the image will either display ridiculously small so that a finger tip always hits two active areas at once and neither responds or the image will have to be scrolled all around the screen and there will be utter confusion as the browser won't know whether to respond to a finger as if the image is to be scrolled or a link acted on.

Unless you want your map to work satisfactorily only on a desktop computer, then you need to think of an alternative approach for your site navigation system.

In summary, that's probably why I haven't seen any attempt to implement the image map since the days when smartphones became popular and why it is probably better to re-think you original proposition. Coding a page so that it displays one way for large screens and another on small screens is fairly advanced stuff and certainly not something that can be done using WYSIWYG point and click techniques alone.
Last edited by gregtutor on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Helping new users of KompoZer - but using BlueGriffon
gregtutor

Postby wink0r on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:46 pm

Thanks, Greg!!
wink0r

Postby gregtutor on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:03 pm

I wondered how to take that "Thanks". It could be sarcasm that I have totally crushed the idea of using those on-line image map generators.

In scanning around the web in my brief research yesterday I came across a good many posters arguing that the age of the image map was not dead - and I think they could be right - but probably not for the application the OP had in mind, in which I imagined a whole world map squeezed onto a 3" wide screen.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby wink0r on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:29 pm

The 'thanks' was sincere! I answered the direct question but didn't even think of the implication with respect to modern web design. I recently got a smart phone but I have a metered (pay as you go) data plan so I stay away from the internet on the phone. I got the phone for the handy camera and an exercise app. I might use a weather app and one to stream some music.
wink0r

Postby gregtutor on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:37 pm

And there was me thinking you Americans all have iPhones and are fully tuned into the modern world. :-)

(From a Brit from the rural backwoods who needs a satellite dish strapped to his house to lift his Internet connection, by land line, above 0.8Mbps)
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby wink0r on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:53 pm

I was perfectly happy with my 'brick' but wanted a compact camera and the phone was both cheaper and more compact than a camera that I would consider. A real camera would be better but make a bigger lump in a pocket. I have a nice mid-line Canon for more serious photography. The world saved a lot of memories on an Instamatic!
wink0r

Return to Beginner Q & A