How & Where to add KEYWORDS

Familiar with web-design ? Trouble with images, tables ? Any other queries ?

Moderators: BobCP, agsone, Neil Parks, gregtutor, Lem3

How & Where to add KEYWORDS

Postby Abstract on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:03 pm

Hello, I use Kompozer to edit my website, which was not created on Kompozer ..but is a simple Template. Lately I have been berraged by emails from web authors telling me I have no keywords in my Website, and that I am probably the only one that knows it exists! ...I'm sure you have all seen these type of letters! Anyway I am interested in knowing exactly where and how I can add some KEYWORDS to my site, and if anyone could offer assistance I would really appreciate it! I have done some google reasearch on this subject and they mention addding them into the page titles.
Last edited by Abstract on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Abstract

Re: How & Where to add KEYWORDS

Postby wink0r on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:27 pm

Do you produce the content for your site or do you publish the work of others?
Do you just provide information or do you try to sell a product?
Are these letters you mention trying to sell you a service (SEO - Search Engine Optimization)?

There is a Meta Keyword tag. KompoZer does not produce the tag nor provide a way to populate the tag. The major search engines long ago discounted or completely abandoned the keywords listed there. As I recall BlueGriffon does produce the tag and allows input to populate it. You can add the tag to the code manually with KompoZer, but it is probably not worth the bother.

It might be worth noting that a keyword is a word or phrase that describes the subject of the content of the page. These are words or phrases that someone searching for information about content that you offer might type into a search box.

Google will choose keywords for your site and pages. You can provide hints to the search engines that will help them choose the right keywords. (This is known as on-page optimization.)

The places where keywords should be used:

In the page file name. The file name becomes part of the URL for the page.
      In the page title. The title you give the page is displayed in the title bar or, now days, in the browser tab.
      In the description of the page. The description is often used by the search engines as the short paragraph below the URL in the search results.
      If you use images the image name should be descriptive of the content of the image and can be another location for a keyword.
      In the content of the page. Generally near the beginning and conclusion of the page and once or twice in the body.
If you do a search for the content subject of your page, your page should be listed somewhere in the search results. The goal of SEO is to get the page listed on the first page or two of results. The first page is the only one that most people look at for the information for which they search.

As mentioned keywords are an element of on-page optimization. The other side of the coin is off-page optimization. Good on-page optimization is necessary as a first step in getting your pages and site noticed in the search results.
wink0r

Postby Abstract on Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:34 am

Hello and Thank you for the informative reply. In answer to your question, I am a painter artist, publishing for myself only, and mainly interested in search engines finding me under Abstract art, or Abstract artists, abstract landscapes. If if helps in any way my page can be found at johnstenger.com Thank You
Last edited by Abstract on Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abstract

Postby BobCP on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:18 pm

You'll have to edit the source code, placing these tags after the head tag. Note that the content of the tags is within quotes.

<meta name="keywords"
content="Place your keywords here, each keyword or phrase separated by a comma."

<meta name="description"
content="Same deal here"
BobCP

Postby Abstract on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:02 pm

Looking at the source code I see ...<meta name="description" and the word description is in blue, should I delete "description" ...and enter the keywords in its place? ...Or just place them next to the word? In the code shown below, I place Keywords next to "John Stenger Abstract Contemporary Paintings."> starting here?

<meta name="description"
content="John Stenger Abstract Contemporary Paintings.">
<meta name="keywords"
content="John Stenger Abstract Contemporary Paintings.">
<meta name="robots" content="index, follow">
Last edited by Abstract on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Abstract

Postby BobCP on Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:56 pm

Just add more description words, separated by commas. i.e.

content="John Stenger Abstract Contemporary Paintings, Oil paintings, Abstract paintings, Contemporary art">
BobCP

Postby gregtutor on Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi Bob,

I am out of touch with KompoZer so went to use your Charles Cook Sig link but found it dead.

I had hoped to check whether KompoZer has the same two options as BlueGriffon under it's Format menu. One allows you to enter title tag data, the other description data.

I understood that the thinking behind this was that titles are vital for search engines and that the description meta tag was still frequently used as the basis for the snippet in the results listing. Keywords have long been redundant as search engines have scanned whole pages for many years.

I further understood that sentences rather the words and phrases were recommended for the description tag.
Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Helping new users of KompoZer - but using BlueGriffon
gregtutor

Postby wink0r on Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:55 pm

Greg,
I am reasonably sure that KompoZer does have both title and description input boxes on the Page Title and Properties screen found near the bottom of the Format menu if I recall correctly. I have been meaning to open KompoZer to check.

In my initial list I mentioned image file names. I neglected to mention Alt text as a place where keywords could be placed. Now, having taken a peek at the site, the title tag in the image dialog could and should be used. That is what produces the tool tip so the information there is available to visitors as well as search engines.

It would also be of value to add a good paragraph of description to each image. The search engines rank sites on the value of the information offered. Just displaying images does not provide any basis for the search engine algorithms to produce a ranking for the site. I suspect that this is the real problem with this site.
wink0r

Postby BobCP on Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:01 pm

As far as I could tell, you can insert a description tag (via page title and properties), but no way to link keywords. Of course keywords have become somewhat less critical since Google uses several methods to index pages.
BobCP

Postby wink0r on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:34 pm

The meta keyword tag would need to be added in the code. Google and the other major search long ago discounted the tag because of abuse. (I once ran across a page that probably had more words in the keyword tag than on the visible page.)

Google pulls keywords from content but there is precious little content on the site. The page I checked did not even have alt text on the images.
wink0r

Postby dr-john on Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:01 pm

Forget putting keywords in the head's meta tag!!! It is as likely to get your site visitors as rowing out into the centre of the atlantic and shouting out loud the url of the site.

The meta tag description should contain sentances that describe the page, so that if google does use it, it looks like a text extract from the page. Google would use the description if it felt these words were better than those on the page itself, but google does not score the description in its rating of it's importance to the searcher using google. But people reading the description, if it is used by google, can better assess if the page is what they are after.

What your pages desperately need is some text on the pages. Instead of having a very short description photoshopped onto the actual images, put them under each image in real text. Google can't see these words in the images, google reads text and sees the images as an image only. Your camera can't read the words on a newspaper if you take a picture of it, can it?

So under each image you should have proper text saying what it represents, when it was created, its size, if it is for sale, and a price. If it's not for sale as its already been bought, say where it is currently displayed. As an absolute minimum.
In other words TELL PEOPLE about your work.

Even the name on your standard opening image is invisible to google.

If you get regular emails about the lack of keywords in your meta tags or on the actual pages, it might be a nice person who has found your page and is trying to be helpful. But it is much much more likely to be a company cold calling to sell you their services. Ignore them. Delete delete delete.

We all get these emails incidentally.
dr-john

Postby Abstract on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Thank You all for your Help! ..sorry for the late reply on this issue, but some family emergencies had to be addressed!
Abstract

Postby Abstract on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:32 pm

I have been working on this keyword issue today, and I think I am progressing well with the keywords. Thanks Again John
Last edited by Abstract on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Abstract

Postby Abstract on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:07 pm

I added key words, and I'm working on adding the real text as was suggested. I also discovered that my website was not verified by Google, so I placed their verifying code following the meta name tag between the sites Head & the Body. One last question, ..I would like to place Bings verifying code in also, but there are no free meta tags left to place next to! ...so can I put the bing code on the same line following the Google code? If you need to see what I'm asking, the code is at johnstenger.com Thanks
Last edited by Abstract on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Abstract

Postby dr-john on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:07 pm

Just noticed your question.
On one of my sites, my google verification code looks like this (edited to be randon) And is IN the head, not between the head and body
Code: Select all
<meta name="google-site-verification" content="SleF3p9mysdCjD6Hyj2HNIwHW5D__mr8dw2saYKNMSP" />

I'd assume that the bing code would probably be the same except the meta name="bing-site-verification"
So you would be adding a code something like
Code: Select all
<meta name="bing-site-verification" content="XYzF3p9mysdCjD6Hyj2HNIwHW5D__mr8dw2saYABCP" />

EDIT
AAAH ! I missed the code on your home page. Apart from having the google verification code there twice, you've done it correctly.
What do you use the bing / MSvalidate code for???

Google provides webmaster tools, but I haven't heard of MS webtools - is it just so you can add a sitemap for each search engine to use?

PS when adding real text to your pages, you could also explain what some of the abstract items are meant to represent. I like abstract art but just what is the painting "2017" ?

Perhaps we will see the following one day

"The image called Web Building 2018 is meant to show the stress of building a web site, the hair pulling the artist went through, the desperation, the tears shed in vain, and the light at the end of the tunnel is actually a freight train coming straight at the viewer." ;)
Last edited by dr-john on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dr-john

Return to General Q & A