Special characters in BlueGriffon

New to web-building ? Simple answers to "How do I . . .?"

Moderators: BobCP, agsone, Neil Parks, gregtutor, Lem3

Special characters in BlueGriffon

Postby crazuuu on Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:46 pm

I’m using BlueGriffon 2.1.2 on iMac to create mostly text based web pages. I often need to create text in French and am getting frustrated by not easily being able to type special characters, eg é è à etc.

The normal Mac functionality is to hold down the letter and you are then presented with a selection of that character with different accents from which you select by keying, for example, 2. This functionality doesn’t work in BlueGriffon.

Sometimes there is an Emoji & Symbols option from the Edit menu, which is a very laborious way of selecting special characters anyway, but then sometimes the Emoji option doesn’t even appear.

Is there a simple way to type special characters?
crazuuu

Re: Special characters in BlueGriffon

Postby gregtutor on Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:13 am

I'm currently using BlueGriffon 1.7.2 under Linux, but have used later versions under Windows.

My Android devices have a similar keyboard behaviour to that which you describe for your Mac. However, I am not entirely surprised it doesn't work under BlueGriffon on your Mac. That's because there is a lot more to process for an electronic document to be useful on the web, which might be rendered on all kinds of devices including aural and not just visual ones.

As a UK user you'll probably already be familiar with the pound sign frequently showing up on web pages as an diamond shape with some character within. This is related to the character sets available on the machine creating the document being different to that on the rendering document - in much the same way that you are undoubtedly used to having documents prepared on Windows machines not rendering properly on a Mac because of the difference in the range of fonts available.

I am not an expert on character sets and languages but and rarely use more than an accented character in words like café or résumé when I am quite happy to type é instead to ensure they get rendered correctly on other machines!

It could be that a tweak of the advanced settings:
intl.charset.default
intl.accept_charsets
intl.accept_languages
would help but I suspect not.

As this is a technical query about how BlueGriffon operates you could be better off asking at the Bluegriffon GoogleGroup at:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/bluegriffon

Given that Daniel's main development machine is a Mac, I am sure there is a good technical reason for the standard Mac facilities not being available - if indeed they are not and there's not some tweak to the default installation that needs to be made.
Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Helping new users of KompoZer - but using BlueGriffon
gregtutor

Postby crazuuu on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Thanks for that, I'll try the other forum. Do you know why the Emoji & Symbols drop down is sometimes there and sometimes not?
crazuuu

Postby gregtutor on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:06 pm

I know nothing of emojis. (Call me a Luddite!)

I understood them to be much like the smiley's seen in SMS messages on a phone. They are typically two or three punctuation characters strung together that some phones then render as a specific picture. The trouble is that each brand of phone shows them differently and some that are recognised by one brand are not by another and the recipient just sees the original punctuation characters.

I do understand that there is some kind of ratifying body for new emoji designs - saw some news item about new faces a few months ago - but I still understood them to be restricted to a limited range of products and messaging systems and that they were not part of web standards.

If I'm right, (big if) that would account for there being no support within web creation software. If they do appear sometimes in BlueGriffon, I would expect that to be an untended bug, rather than a poorly implemented feature.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby crazuuu on Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:54 pm

Actually it is more like the Windows Character Map, so it can be used to select special characters. It also contains lots of silly little yellow smiley faces, but I don't want it for those!
crazuuu

Postby gregtutor on Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:29 pm

For some reason, I have got very distracted with emojis, about which I know very little. Here's what I can do (using BlueGriffon 1.7.2 under Linux)...

On the menu you'll see: Insert > Characters & Symbols
The default keyboard shortcut (read: Longcut! :-) ) for that is:
ALT-I C C ENTER

But I've just gone to:
Tools > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts
found the item in question and installed a CTRL+ALT+S shortcut.

I dare say you can do something similar on a Mac and find something a little more finger-friendly.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby crazuuu on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:49 am

I don't want to labour the point. But sometimes the Emoji option appears under Edit and sometimes it doesn't. I can't work out what causes it to appear or not appear. There is a keyboard shortcut, but... that only works when the menu option is there.

Here is a screenshot which hopefully shows my problem.

grab.tiff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by crazuuu on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
crazuuu

Postby gregtutor on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:38 pm

I see what you mean!

Presumably, the "Start Dictation" option only appears when the emojis option does? If so this will definitely be a platform specific issue. It's beyond me and I don't know if our resident Mac user has BlueGriffon installed.

I really think it is a question for Daniel on the Google Group and possibly a bug report.

We're all users here, rather than developers.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Return to Beginner Q & A