second level links

Familiar with web-design ? Trouble with images, tables ? Any other queries ?

Moderators: BobCP, agsone, Neil Parks, gregtutor, Lem3

second level links

Postby wiliamvw on Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:22 pm

After getting my files uploaded to folder, and viewing home/index page, I clicked on a link I had made on that index page and it came up right away; but on that page that came up, there was another link to a follow-on page and that got no response
despite fact it had its link created the same way and also displayed the underline that comes into play whenever create a link.
Tried other second level links on different pages, but all had no response.
Am I overlooking some extra step needed for these second level link creations? or is some other problem involved?
wiliamvw

Re: second level links

Postby gregtutor on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:21 am

A link is a link. It should make no difference how many pages into your site you go.

The most likely problem is that on your subsequent pages you have managed to create a link that points to your own hard disk.

Next most likely error is that you have not loaded the page to the correct folder on the server, or the arrangement of folders and files is not mirrored exactly on your own computer and the server.

It is also possible that weird things have happened if you used KompoZer's internal "Publish" facility. It is vital that you use an external FTP program.

Are any of these things possible?

If you can't crack the problem with these hints, it would be best to post a link to your site, so others here can take a look and see what they can spot that might be wrong.
Last edited by gregtutor on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Helping new users of KompoZer - but using BlueGriffon
gregtutor

Postby wiliamvw on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:08 pm

OK, I think main problem is that while had uploaded initially through networksolutions 'file Manager' and using its 'browse' option
to select files, when had a problem [the second level links], I tried using the 'publish' option on kompozer and that's when had to pay 'My Time Support' to supposedly fix it, but all they did was 'fix most of coding problem' but left it still without files coming up apart from the index/home file on my vitalwitness.com domain site [now got error code 404, instead of earlier 403]. They informed me that: 'site links not coded properly 03EF423.NETSOLHOST.COM'
Not sure exactly what I need to do to create link to that site. They said my files were without the '.html' but uploaded them with it, and when tried using double html [.html.html] it was also ineffective.
When the 1.0 version of kompozer is eventually provided, hope it will be able to just update and not require whole new install.
Thanks for your time and attention, and all suggestions appreciated.
wiliamvw

Postby gregtutor on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:57 am

I've just tried one link - to PageA
Your advisers are right. The link is to file "PageA" but the file on the server is "PageA.html". That's why you get a 404 error.

Use KompoZer's point and click method to select files to ensure no typos or confusion about the actual file name...

On the "Insert image" dialogue click on the folder icon to the right of the file field and navigate your way to the correct file on your system. Also remember to check the "Relative address" box. If you do this and your file/folder structure is mirrored on your machine and the server there'll be no more missing file errors.
Last edited by gregtutor on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby wink0r on Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:01 pm

The link dialog and the image dialog are the same in this respect.
wink0r

Postby gregtutor on Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:06 pm

Oops! Silly me! Thanks wink0r.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby dr-john on Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:43 pm

It is very much better to give your files meaningful names.
So from here I can't guess what PageA.htm is about, but can you guess what these pages are about?
achievements.htm
management-team.htm
car-restorations.htm
weather.htm
fees.htm

It is soooo much easier for visitors if the url displayed makes sense, and google also gives your page a small boost in search results if the filename matches the content. In a year or two, when you decide to add somehting about fees or management-team, it is so easy for you to find the page you last updated a year ago.

You should start with this sort of approach right from the start.
dr-john

Postby gregtutor on Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:47 pm

And to add to dr-john's point, you'll notice that his file names are all lower case. This can also avoid issues with some servers which can be case sensitive.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Return to General Q & A