Icon for web page

HTML Source, Tables, CSS, JavaScript, and Embed/Object.

Moderators: BobCP, agsone, Neil Parks, gregtutor, Lem3

Icon for web page

Postby NETweb on Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:30 pm

I noticed after bookmarking my web page that there is an unwanted and unintentional icon to it.

How do I remove it and how and where do I find code for icons?

What is the adding icons to web page called? Is there a technical terms meaning "to add this icon to my web page" when bookmarked?
NETweb

Re: Icon for web page

Postby gregtutor on Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:09 am

That is something that will depend on the browser you are using, the add-ons you have installed and possibly other factors. It's not an option I recall seeing on any browser I run. It would probably be better to ask the question in a support forum for the browser you run.
Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Helping new users of KompoZer - but using BlueGriffon
gregtutor

Postby agsone on Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:30 pm

NETweb wrote:What is the adding icons to web page called? Is there a technical terms meaning "to add this icon to my web page" when bookmarked?

That's called a "favicon" which is a 16x16 or 32x32 pixel graphic. There are many websites that will allow you to make your own and download it. Most modern browsers accept .png format favicons but to be safe you should probably still go with an .ico format.

Most browsers will look for a "favicon.ico" file in the same directory as your index.html file so if you upload it there you should be good to go. If you want to use a png or put the icon somewhere else you'll need to include a link in the head of each html file (which requires editing the code with a text editor).
Code: Select all
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="img/favicon.ico">
agsone

Postby gregtutor on Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:08 pm

Thanks for that agsone.

I always have my favicon files in my general "images" folder and use the kind of link you post, so I had forgotten about the possibility you describe.
Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Helping new users of KompoZer - but using BlueGriffon
gregtutor

Return to Advanced Design Q & A