simple online store template

HTML Source, Tables, CSS, JavaScript, and Embed/Object.

Moderators: BobCP, agsone, Neil Parks, gregtutor, Lem3

simple online store template

Postby charlotteda on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:15 pm

millions of templates out there...but I need a simple one page store template to use - that needs only html, css and javascript as that it what my current host supports...

I want to sell only 10-15 items and use paypal buttons...

I can almost code it myself but I'm going nuts trying to lay out blocks of items (in other words - a table that isnt a table )

any suggestions ?
charlotteda

Re: simple online store template

Postby agsone on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:27 pm

Have you checked your host's resources? Often there is a plug in and play e-commerce option in there.

Another option is to set up a store at PayPal and just link to that - you do lose the "look and feel" of your own site though.

Do you anticipate a customer buying just one thing per visit or are multiples of an item or multiple items likely? That's going to affect how you set it all up (i.e. do you need a cart or not).

Slightly old but possibly useful post at CSS Tricks here.
agsone

Postby charlotteda on Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:46 pm

my host is charter.net and they dont offer anything. I can only use html and css and js...not php, flash etc.

I do hope for the option to buy more than 1 thing at a time so I will have to develop the cart buttons

I didnt realize we could set up a store at paypal, I will look into that though.

I already have my website... (carolinahoneybees.com) I just want to insert a page to sell a few honey/beeswax candle items.

I will review the link you posted....thanks :)
charlotteda

Postby charlotteda on Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:55 pm

My main boggle is deciding whether to cough up the $10 a month for a go daddy page (probably I should) or try to fix something for myself. I hate to pay the $10 when I expect sales to be rather low or non existant. This is not intended to be my main business front...just a convenience for folks who buy my products at a craft show and want more when they get home.
charlotteda

Postby gregtutor on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:12 pm

If it really is a very low turnover service for returning customers, then Paypal may be the best route, although as said earlier, you will lose connection with the look and feel of your site.

However, (after a quick check on the Paypal site while investigating options for a friend of mine) it does seem that they do now offer an "Add to cart" button as well as the traditional "Buy now" buttons, so multiple purchases are possible.
Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Helping new users of KompoZer - but using BlueGriffon
gregtutor

Postby wink0r on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:31 pm

If you are thinking about hosting check out HostGator. They have a single site plan for less than half of the GoDaddy price you mention, and with their typical introductory offer you could have two years of good quality hosting for less than $100.
wink0r

Postby charlotteda on Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:21 pm

Wow those sites are interesting. But I can use my current host as long as I only use html and css and javascript... since I will have to pay "paypal" fees anyway I was trying to avoid paying a host/cart fee until I see if I have any business.
charlotteda

Postby dr-john on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:02 am

Visit mal's ecommerce, set up a free account, and insert Buy Now links on your existing pages. in your configuration say that you wish to use paypal to collect the money.

http://www.mals-e.com/

three of my clients use mal's system. one for over 8 years now. And it's free at the basic level.

Make a test page that your menu doesn't link to and place a few orders with your self for practice. When you have it working properly, work on the real site pages, and then delete the test page.

Simples.
dr-john

Return to Advanced Design Q & A