Home page fine, it is links to other pages???

New to web-building ? Simple answers to "How do I . . .?"

Moderators: BobCP, agsone, Neil Parks, gregtutor, Lem3

Re: Home page fine, it is links to other pages???

Postby Dinoman on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:06 pm

gregtutor wrote:
Dinoman wrote:I was not blaming the Style Sheets for my Black button problem that was just an "also" ? I have redone and checked my links several times and can not find the problem as I have never had 2 stay black together before, so any help appreciated.
I say again...

On the home page you have removed the link on the "Contact Us" button. That is why you have a second black button. (Remember: Your stylesheet tells the browser to make buttons with no links black! Place a link on a button and it will turn blue and respond to hover with grey.)
And back to the Style Sheet as I said it still dose not seem to be working correctly, and I have removed all other Style sheets and imported my "msstyle" one but it still only works on the Home page so what am I missing
From what I can see your stylesheet only works on all the other pages. I say that because the home page has the "wrapper" ID assigned to the <body> tag whereas all other pages have it assigned to the first <div> tag.

You'll need to explain what you expect to happen before anyone can say how to achieve it.

Hi Greg, Thanks again, I think I have sorted out all my problems ? I think at least for the present, so till next time Thanks again, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:11 pm

Well done! Let's hope it all gets steadily clearer.
Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Helping new users of KompoZer - but using BlueGriffon
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:48 pm

gregtutor wrote:Well done! Let's hope it all gets steadily clearer.

Hi Greg, and they say you cant teach an old dog ???, well I have had another go at doing my "Graphic Menu Buttons" and in Komposer they all look fine ? well to me anyway, but online they do not look quite right ? as you can see about 1 full button + some of the other Button so what have I done wrong this time, but at least they all work which is nice, so when you got some time have a look at http://www.mcfarlanescoachbuilders.com and see what you think, again all your help much appreciated, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:08 pm

The thing that jumps out at me is that you have asked the font size to reduce to zero when you hover the pointer over a button.

This seems to have different effects in depending on the browser used and may be the effect you are referring to.

Remove the font-size instruction for this rule and all seems to be well:

#hmenu a:hover {
font-size: 0px;
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:12 pm

HI Greg, Thanks, I have just done what you said but it is still the same, at least in Firefox, so I then changed Browser to IE 8 and it works fine on that, so any more suggestions, again Thanks, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:04 pm

The change you have made has done what I expected. Previously, in IE9 the Gallery Button would disappear on hover anywhere over a link on the menu bar and the text would jump rapidly from button to button.

There is some strange code in your menu buttons which certainly is not in my example code, but until I understand where you see a problem, I'm not sure I am making suggestions that will cure the problem you see.

Please describe again what you feel is wrong with the menu.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:28 pm

Hi Greg, Thanks again, well as I use Firefox so when I open my site online the Menu bar seems too big for my menu buttons so you can see the one nice dark blue button and underneath it you can see approx half of the Grey button, so again any help appreciated, Regards DM http://www.mcfarlanescoachbuilders.com
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:01 am

That's nor happening here. It sounds like you've put some "zoom" into your browser.

You sometimes need to do that for sites with ridiculously small text (There are far too many like that for my rapidly ageing eyes)

Reset your zoom level with CTRL-0 (that's a zero)

CTRL-+ and CTRL-- (that's with plus or minus) will zoom in or out.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:52 am

gregtutor wrote:That's nor happening here. It sounds like you've put some "zoom" into your browser.

You sometimes need to do that for sites with ridiculously small text (There are far too many like that for my rapidly ageing eyes)

Reset your zoom level with CTRL-0 (that's a zero)

CTRL-+ and CTRL-- (that's with plus or minus) will zoom in or out.

Hi Greg, Thanks again, I have tried the Zoom but it makes no difference at all, no matter how small I go it is still the same, still seeing 1.5 buttons in Firefox, Regards DM

Hi Greg, I have just altered the Line Height in "hmenu" from 1.9em to 1.4em and although it has helped it still dose not look right as now in Firefox and IE8 the bottom of the Buttons is sliced off but at least you are not seeing the second button, so if you can suggest anything else I can try to try and resolve this problem, again any help appreciated, Regards DM http://www.mcfarlanescoachbuilders.com
Last edited by Dinoman on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:47 pm

It is now much worse. Put it back as it was. The fault is with your browser.

If you can't use zoom via the CTRL key, then try the menu:
View > Zoom > Reset

If you can't see the menu, click the orange button towards the top left
then select: Options > Menubar
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:03 pm

gregtutor wrote:It is now much worse. Put it back as it was. The fault is with your browser.

Greg, I know it is my Browser, but I am not the only one using Firefox ?? if I was then I would not worry ??,

If you can't use zoom via the CTRL key, then try the menu:
View > Zoom > Reset

Greg I can Zoom in and out no problem it just dose not change the look of the Buttons ??.

If you can't see the menu, click the orange button towards the top left
then select: Options > Menubar

Greg I can see the menu fine, it is just instead of just one button I am seeing one and a half buttons a OE
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:10 pm

Dinoman wrote:Greg I can see the menu fine, it is just instead of just one button I am seeing one and a half buttons a OE
You've changed things again since I wrote.

Now, in Firefox I see the buttons set to the left in slightly wider "boxes" with a dark maroon background. these boxes are surrounded by a wide lighter maroon border. The button text is centred within the dark maroon boxes, so looks set to the right of the button. The longest caption almost bleeds onto the dark maroon background. Another change is that the menu bar no longer fills the full width of the main body of the page.

It's the same in Chrome.

In IE it's much the same, but the dark maroon boxes do appear to be about 1px taller. You can just see a light line at the bottom of each button.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:30 pm

gregtutor wrote:
Dinoman wrote:Greg I can see the menu fine, it is just instead of just one button I am seeing one and a half buttons a OE
You've changed things again since I wrote.

Yes Greg I keep trying to figure it out, so as I am not sure what I am doing then I just change things to see what happens,

Now, in Firefox I see the buttons set to the left in slightly wider "boxes" with a dark maroon background. these boxes are surrounded by a wide lighter maroon border. The button text is centred within the dark maroon boxes, so looks set to the right of the button. The longest caption almost bleeds onto the dark maroon background. Another change is that the menu bar no longer fills the full width of the main body of the
page.

Greg in Firefox can you see the extra Half of the grey Button under the dark blue button ? that is the main problem, once I had this sorted then I was going to ask about getting a better fit etc.

It's the same in Chrome.

In IE it's much the same, but the dark maroon boxes do appear to be about 1px taller. You can just see a light line at the bottom of each button.

Hi Greg Thanks again, well if it was just the light line under the Buttons as IE8 then I would think that was passable, but in Firefox there is another Half of the grey button showing which definitely dose not look right, again your help appreciated, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby wink0r on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:43 pm

I am seeing just the opposite results. The additional button part shows in IE8 but not in FF. This has to do with the default font size settings I believe, as Greg said. If you go to the view menu in IE and select text size as 'Largest' things will change. In FF check the zoom text only and try larger or smaller.
wink0r

Postby gregtutor on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:44 pm

I repeat, your problem is definitely in your browser - not the code in your site (other than the slight offset to the buttons). It is some option in your browser that is affecting what you see.

In Firefox, is the "Zoom Text Only" setting turned on or off on the sub-menu at:
View > Zoom? Does this affect the options "Zoom In", "Zoom Out" or "Reset"?
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner Q & A