Tools for Checking orphan images, htm, and pdf files

Links to external resources

Moderators: BobCP, agsone, gregtutor, Lem3, art0l0

Tools for Checking orphan images, htm, and pdf files

Postby gina on Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:27 pm

I have inherited this site and have been assigned the task of removing unused files.
http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/austinairport/

It was developed in Dreamweaver but the native folder no longer exists.

Challenge: I need to remove orphan .pdf, images files and .htm files that are no longer active. I do not currently have the ability to open the whole site and check for broken links, etc. Nor did the previous web person practice good file/image naming procedures, so I am having to click on each image/pdf/page and try and figure out if it is still active. too, too silly.

Is my best solution to try and import a very bloated site into Dreamweaver or Kompozer and have at it?

Life is too short to spend weeks of my life doing this manually.
gina

Postby agsone on Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:44 pm

The W3C Link Checker might be a place to start.

Of course it is checking that links to files exist rather than if there are files on your site which don't have a link but it has the kind of output that you could copy and paste into a text file and sort later. That way you could eventually establish what files in what folders (and you are right, they seem to be all over the place) have active links.

Arm yourself with a good ftp program - FileZilla, FireFtp, CyberDuck etc. (depending on operating system and preference) - you have a file management rather than design problem so go for the dedicated tool.

Good luck! Back up often!
agsone

Postby BobCP on Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:29 pm

I just found something called Zenu that will generate all sorts of information, including a list of orphan files, both located on the web or on your computer.

Now I have to figure out why I've got so many orphans on my site... :?
BobCP

Postby gregtutor on Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:56 pm

Xenu is, indeed, an excellent tool! (but I have adjusted the defaults for the reports in my installation as it gave me more info than I needed! :-) )
Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Helping new users of KompoZer - but using BlueGriffon
gregtutor

Postby BobCP on Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:22 pm

gregtutor wrote:Xenu is, indeed, an excellent tool! (but I have adjusted the defaults for the reports in my installation as it gave me more info than I needed! :-) )

I foolishly printed out the entire report. 54 pages... :shock:

It's going to take me the better part of a day to track down all the errors that have accumulated in the last 10 years. My site has grown into 600+ pages and 3000+ files, so I guess I could "justify" a couple (hundred) errors.
Last edited by BobCP on Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
BobCP

You guys and Xenu Rock!

Postby gina on Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:04 am

I just ran Xenu and wat a time saver this is going to be. Don't laugh, but I don't have FTP access privileges.

Much, much, thanks many hours have been saved!!
gina

Return to Helpful External Links