Drop shadow with CSS

New to web-building ? Simple answers to "How do I . . .?"

Moderators: BobCP, agsone, Neil Parks, gregtutor, Lem3

Drop shadow with CSS

Postby Seoulja on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:00 pm

Hi there,

just wanted to know to create drop shadows and drop down navigation bars with css.

Thanks again to the community
Seoulja

Re: Drop shadow with CSS

Postby ill66 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:13 am

you didn't write, WHAT you want to equippe with a dropshadow. possible are text objects and rectangular graphics (yes i know, graphics are always rectangular, but i mean solid ones without transparency ;P ).
text:
you need two blocklevel-elements (headings h1-6, parapgraphs p, generic containers div...) with identical text. one in the wished color, one in shadow-color (grey recommended ;) ). their positions has to bet set to "relative" (status bar > rightclick on the element > inline styles > box). no get them into position via the offset values. z-index may also be required (lower number means lower position in the stack, higher numer > higher position)

hope i didn't forget something^^°

with images it is pretty much the same, but you use a generic container with the measures of the image painted with the shadow background-color.

lucky is the user of the alpha version with the DOM-tree.^^

was this too confused? dunno, it's 3 o'clock in the 'morning' over here *gaga*
**i apologize beforehand, if my english's not perfect :oops: i do my best^^**
ill66

Re: Drop shadow with CSS

Postby dr-john on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:40 am

Search with google for drop shadows css, for adding drop shadows to images using css. There are literally dozens of ways.

Visit http://www.htmldog.com to learn how to make drop-down menus. There are also dozens of ways to do this, but their Son of Suckerfish method is one of the commonest ones around.
dr-john

Return to Beginner Q & A