Migrating code.

New to web-building ? Simple answers to "How do I . . .?"

Moderators: BobCP, agsone, Neil Parks, gregtutor, Lem3

Migrating code.

Postby bampah on Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:52 pm

I have been managing a website for a choir for some years. I used Kompozer to design the site and have been using it ever since to maintain and update it.
I have now decided that I have had enough and wish to hand over to someone else. (No great rush of volunteers as yet BTW)
Would it be possible to migrate the source code to another WYSIWYG programme such as BlueGriffon?
If so, what programme would you choose bearing in mind that any volunteer taking over would most likely be pretty much a newbie?
tia
bampah

Re: Migrating code.

Postby gregtutor on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:55 am

I do not know of any reason why there should be a problem in loading source code generated by KompoZer into BlueGriffon.

However, I have always thought that KompoZer is best thought of as a teaching tool for folk that have an interest in what goes on under the hood. For those that only have little to no interest in that then there might be better tools, not that I know which to recommend as I'm one of those rare birds that takes pride in the efficient compact standards compliant code that I can produce with BlueGriffon.

I reckon that in the real world most potential volunteers to take on any of my sites would just copy and paste the content across to WordPress or something similar. The next thing they'd do is find a theme template they like and before you know it the site that I passed to them would look nothing like the one I'd kept going all this time.

Another possible reason for a new volunteer wanting a different tool is that, even with BlueGriffon, building a mobile friendly site - essential these days - is a little tricky. You really do need to have an appreciation of stylesheets. While the results are always a lot more clunky than the best you could achieve with KompoZer or BlueGriffon, just being able to select a moble friendly theme within WordPress, Wix or Weebly is a breeze compared with the task in KompoZer or BlueGriffon.

So my thought is that you should not worry over much about migration. Most people these days with the interest to take over what you have been doing will simply will turn to their preferred "No coding required" tool and paste in your old content.
Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Helping new users of KompoZer - but using BlueGriffon
gregtutor

Re: Migrating code.

Postby bampah on Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:31 pm

Thanks Greg
I did consider the possibility that whatever I did, the new volunteer would most likely choose to create his/her own website soooo...
The plan is to just give them complete access to the server and let them get on with it.
I will also give them the link to your excellent tutorial and let them see for themselves what taking over 'as is' would entail.
Thanks
bampah

Return to Beginner Q & A