Home page fine, it is links to other pages???

New to web-building ? Simple answers to "How do I . . .?"

Moderators: BobCP, agsone, Neil Parks, gregtutor, Lem3

Home page fine, it is links to other pages???

Postby Dinoman on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi it is me back again, I am helping a friend build a site ??, well we got as far as the home page uploaded and looks fine, but I have 3 other pages " about us,projects,gallery," but no matter what I do I can not get the links to work, when I click on the left pane of my FTP client I can see my pages but can not view in Browser, so again any help appreciated, URL is http://www.mcfarlanescoachbuilders.com Regards DM
Dinoman

Re: Home page fine, it is links to other pages???

Postby agsone on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:56 pm

Your home page is fine, as are the links to the other pages.

The problem is the content of the other pages, each of those has identical content to the main page except that the code for the links is broken.

In other words if I start from the home page and click on the About Us link, what I see doesn't change until I look at the address and realize I'm now on aboutus.html. If I click the About Us (or the other links) on that page I get a 404 message.

All you need to do is check the content of the other pages on your computer, make sure they are what is intended and that the links from the menu bar are corrected. Upload those corrected pages and you'll be fine.

P.S. Rather than having the Contact Us link fire up an email directly, have it go to a separate page with the email link. The current set up will be very confusing for someone who doesn't have an email program linked up to their browser.
Last edited by agsone on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agsone

Postby Dinoman on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:42 pm

agsone wrote:Your home page is fine, as are the links to the other pages.

The problem is the content of the other pages, each of those has identical content to the main page except that the code for the links is broken.

In other words if I start from the home page and click on the About Us link, what I see doesn't change until I look at the address and realize I'm now on aboutus.html. If I click the About Us (or the other links) on that page I get a 404 message.

All you need to do is check the content of the other pages on your computer, make sure they are what is intended and that the links from the menu bar are corrected. Upload those corrected pages and you'll be fine.

P.S. Rather than having the Contact Us link fire up an email directly, have it go to a separate page with the email link. The current set up will be very confusing for someone who doesn't have an email program linked up to their browser.

Hi Agsone,I had just coppied my master page as is and did think the content being same would a problem, so I have now removed the contents and just put in some different text, now only the first link I click will work but the other 2 come up wit 404 error, and I also note I can not get back to my Home page by clicking "Home" , so again Thanks for any help, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby jaker on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi Dinoman, fellow beginner Kompozer user/web page editor here.

I found that your links on the "About Us" page are incorrectly specified (and I presume it's a similar problem elsewhere if, as you say, your pages are definitely uploaded to the hosting site). In the images below, I've hovered my mouse over the "About Us" link - in the first image from the Home page and second from the About Us page. The target address defined in your <a href> code is shown at the bottom of each image, highlighted in red. See the difference?

So, for the case of the About Us page, you can see that you need to change your hmenu code from:
Code: Select all
<div id="hmenu">
<ul>
<li>Home</li>
<li><a href="mailto:steve@mcfarlanescoachbuilders.com">Contact Us</a></li>
<li><a href="about%20us">About Us</a></li>
<li><a href="projects">Projects</a></li>
<li><a href="gallery">Gallery</a></li>
</ul>
</div>

To something more like:
<div id="hmenu">
<ul>
<li>Home</li>
<li><a href="aboutus.html">About Us</a></li>
<li><a href="projects.html">Projects</a></li>
<li><a href="gallery.html">Gallery</a></li>
</ul>
</div>

...where the pages are correctly named and have the '.html' extension on the end (like on your Home page). Once you've done that, first you need to check that your links match the actual names of the files you uploaded to your FTP client and then that each of your pages is being stored in the same folder (otherwise you'll need to add some detail to the target link).

I also recommend changing the 'page title' from "Master Page" for each page.
jaker

Postby agsone on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:20 pm

I'd endorse what jaker is recommending. Put some dummy content in each non-index page to differentiate them for now, tweak the title to the correct one for further clarity, then redo the menu on each page using the Link function on KompoZer so that you can browse to the correct file rather than trying to type in the link correctly.
agsone

Postby Dinoman on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:52 am

agsone wrote:I'd endorse what jaker is recommending. Put some dummy content in each non-index page to differentiate them for now, tweak the title to the correct one for further clarity, then redo the menu on each page using the Link function on KompoZer so that you can browse to the correct file rather than trying to type in the link correctly.

Hi Agsone Thanks again, I have removed all content from my "About us,Projects,Gallery, pages and just put some text to identify, and rechecked all my menus settings and all looks correct, I checked the code and could not see any thing different, when I open http://www.mcfarlanescoachbuilders.com home page is fine then if I click Gallery then Gallery will open, but if I then click Home,projects,about us, all I get is the 404 error, so again any help appreciated, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:09 am

Dinoman wrote:when I open http://www.mcfarlanescoachbuilders.com home page is fine then if I click Gallery then Gallery will open, but if I then click Home,projects,about us, all I get is the 404 error, so again any help appreciated
That's because the Gallery page menu isn't set up right.

The part that does the business looks like this:

<ul>
    <li>Home</li>
    <li><a href="about%20us">About Us</a></li>
    <li><a href="projects">Projects</a></li>
    <li><a href="gallery">Gallery</a></li>
</ul>

Notes:
1. The HOME button has no link
2. The ABOUT US button has a link to a wrong file name. It should be "aboutus.html"
3. The PROJECTS button has a link to an incomplete file name. It should be "projects.html"
4. The GALLERY button has a link that I would expect to be removed so that the styling allows it to show a black background to indicate the currently selected page. If you do wish to retain the link to itself, then it needs the correct file name as well.

Also, I'd endorse agsone's comment about the "CONTACT US" button.

All your other pages show very similar errors on their menus.
Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Helping new users of KompoZer - but using BlueGriffon
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:43 pm

Hi Greg, Thanks again, I have got all the other links working , but still can not go back to the Home page, I have checked all the links to Home and can not see anything wrong ??? so what am I missing, again Thanks for all your help, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby wink0r on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:16 pm

The file name for your home page is index.html but your links point to home.html.

When making a local link the proper way to make the link is to click on the little folder icon to the right of the file path box. Navigate to the file to which you wish to link and select it, then click OK (or is it marked Open?). KompoZer will fill in the proper file path for you.
wink0r

Postby gregtutor on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:18 pm

I see that you've linked all the HOME buttons to a file called "home.html". However, your home page has a file name of "index.html". You have no file called "home.html" uploaded to your server, so the server responds with an Error 404 page, i.e. "File not found".

As a BTW, I hinted earlier that if you remove the links which only re-load the page already displayed then, with your styling rules, the buttons for the currently displayed page will have a black background. This will help your visitors identify where they are on your site. Always worth doing!
Last edited by gregtutor on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi Greg and Winkor, at last I have got all the links working http://www.mcfarlanescoachbuilders.com so many many Thanks.

Postby gregtutor on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:18 pm
I see that you've linked all the HOME buttons to a file called "home.html". However, your home page has a file name of "index.html". You have no file called "home.html" uploaded to your server, so the server responds with an Error 404 page, i.e. "File not found".

As a BTW, I hinted earlier that if you remove the links which only re-load the page already displayed then, with your styling rules, the buttons for the currently displayed page will have a black background. This will help your visitors identify where they are on your site. Always worth doing!

Greg, I am not sure what you mean by the above " remove the links which only reload the page already displayed " ??? Regards DM

Hi Greg, it just hit so now looks like it is all sorted,having the button stay black is a great idea, so again Thanks.

now someone mentioned my "Contactus" link what is wrong or could be better ?? with that, also any other Critisesm, please as I am eager to learn, again all my Thanks to you and other members who have helped me out, Regards DM
Last edited by Dinoman on Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:45 pm

Dinoman wrote:now someone mentioned my "Contactus" link what is wrong or could be better ??
Most people will expect all menu buttons to operate in the same way and open a new page. In your case the "Contact Us" button opens the user's mail program, so it could be confusing. Not only that, if someone is at a library or Internet café it is quite likely that there will be no email program installed - and if there are on a friends computer the message could appear to come from the wrong person and replies go astray.

So the suggestion was that the button should take you to another page, which ideally will have a variety of contact options laid out on the page: snail mail address, telephone and fax numbers, a feedback form, a forum, AND a mail link or button that will launch a mail program. The visitor then has a choice of the most appropriate method for them.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:04 pm

So the suggestion was that the button should take you to another page, which ideally will have a variety of contact options laid out on the page: snail mail address, telephone and fax numbers, a feedback form, a forum, AND a mail link or button that will launch a mail program. The visitor then has a choice of the most appropriate method for them.

Hi Greg, Thanks again, so how do I go about creating a contact page like that, no mention of it it the Tutoral, so again Thanks for all your help, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:55 am

Dinoman wrote:so how do I go about creating a contact page like that, no mention of it it the Tutoral
There's no need for a special mention in the tutorial because it's just another standard page, just like your "About Us", "Projects" and "Gallery" pages. It's just that the "Contact Us" content will show all the various ways of reaching you. This example:
http://thepleasureboat.com/contact.html
doesn't have a mail form or forum as way of contacting the pub but does have a map showing its location.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:45 am

gregtutor wrote:
Dinoman wrote:so how do I go about creating a contact page like that, no mention of it it the Tutoral
There's no need for a special mention in the tutorial because it's just another standard page, just like your "About Us", "Projects" and "Gallery" pages. It's just that the "Contact Us" content will show all the various ways of reaching you. This example:
http://thepleasureboat.com/contact.html
doesn't have a mail form or forum as way of contacting the pub but does have a map showing its location.

Thanks again Greg, I will see what I can come up with, Regards DM
Dinoman

Next

Return to Beginner Q & A