Home page fine, it is links to other pages???

New to web-building ? Simple answers to "How do I . . .?"

Moderators: BobCP, agsone, Neil Parks, gregtutor, Lem3

Re: Home page fine, it is links to other pages???

Postby Dinoman on Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:22 pm

wink0r wrote:I am seeing just the opposite results. The additional button part shows in IE8 but not in FF. This has to do with the default font size settings I believe, as Greg said. If you go to the view menu in IE and select text size as 'Largest' things will change. In FF check the zoom text only and try larger or smaller.

Thanks Wink0r, sorted I just lowered my Text size in FF and then zoomed text only to get the size back as I am sure it all looks normal now, so again Thanks, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby Dinoman on Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:29 pm

gregtutor wrote:I repeat, your problem is definitely in your browser - not the code in your site (other than the slight offset to the buttons). It is some option in your browser that is affecting what you see.

In Firefox, is the "Zoom Text Only" setting turned on or off on the sub-menu at:
View > Zoom? Does this affect the options "Zoom In", "Zoom Out" or "Reset"?

Hi Greg, great now I have redone my Text size in FF and then zoomed Text only in FF and all I see now is just one button so again Thanks.

So now how can I get the Text on the buttons to fit better and be centered, again all your help appreciated, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:45 pm

Three options:

1. Use your image editor to increase the width of the buttons, so they fill the whole of the dark maroon box (with appropriate edits to the code to allow the buttons to display at their new wider width) or

2. Reduce the width of the dark maroon box to the point where it matches the width of the buttons (with this option the "Contact Details" text will appear a tight fit on the button.) or

3. A combination of the first two. (so the buttons are wide enough to accommodate the widest text.)

Your choice!

And if you really understand what rules control which feature - and you really ought to by now, then it should be easy for you to adjust the code to handle your chosen option.
Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Helping new users of KompoZer - but using BlueGriffon
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:39 pm

gregtutor wrote:Three options:

1. Use your image editor to increase the width of the buttons, so they fill the whole of the dark maroon box (with appropriate edits to the code to allow the buttons to display at their new wider width) or

2. Reduce the width of the dark maroon box to the point where it matches the width of the buttons (with this option the "Contact Details" text will appear a tight fit on the button.) or

3. A combination of the first two. (so the buttons are wide enough to accommodate the widest text.)

Your choice!

And if you really understand what rules control which feature - and you really ought to by now, then it should be easy for you to adjust the code to handle your chosen option.

Hi Greg, Thanks again, sad to say your confidence is misplaced,?? as if you have a look now I have lost my Buttons completely, I resized them as you suggested in your first option put them in my Images folder deleted original ones and renamed as original and uploaded and the result you can see ?? no Buttons, had a look and tried several changes but to no avail, so again any help appreciated, Regards DM http://www.mcfarlanescoachbuilders.com
Last edited by Dinoman on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:26 pm

You've lost your buttons because the image file is no longer on the server (or you've changed its name or location).

The borders have gone because the border type is now unspecified. It was solid - and you've changed the measurements.

There may be more wrong, but it's hard to tell without the image file in place.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi Greg, Thanks again, I found my Image and now looks better but The Buttons colour dose not change when I click ?? so something wrong there, again your help much appreciated, Regards DM http://www.mcfarlanescoachbuilders.com

Hi Greg, I think I have got it ?? see what you think, all that remains is to position the Text better in the Buttons and I will be more than happy, so again Thanks for all your help, Regards DM
Last edited by Dinoman on Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi DM,

I have already pointed out that the space you allow for the button is wider than the button image.

Now I must ask the question...

Why do you have the background button image aligned left when you have centred the text over the button image?

You really do give the impression that the whole thing is just magic to you and all you do is stir the cauldron a bit without the faintest notion of what rule has what effect or why.

You really must begin to think for yourself a bit and work things out logically.

You're clearly a wizard when it comes to metalwork and I'm incredibly jealous of your abilities in that direction, but I just worry that you'll never get the hang of CSS. It can't be that different to finding engine faults on a car. I wonder why you can't apply a similar logic when your CSS doesn't work as expected.

Yours in slight frustration...
Last edited by gregtutor on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:17 pm

Hi Greg, Thanks, yes I know it is very frustrating trying to teach someone, that is the reason I have always worked on my own, so anyway thanks for all your help, Regards DM
Dinoman

Previous

Return to Beginner Q & A