Home page fine, it is links to other pages???

New to web-building ? Simple answers to "How do I . . .?"

Moderators: BobCP, agsone, Neil Parks, gregtutor, Lem3

Re: Home page fine, it is links to other pages???

Postby gregtutor on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:54 pm

I'll need to see the page to work out what's happened. Can you upload the test page (and the graphic and stylesheet), so it works the same as on your computer and then post the link.
Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Helping new users of KompoZer - but using BlueGriffon
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:51 pm

gregtutor wrote:I'll need to see the page to work out what's happened. Can you upload the test page (and the graphic and stylesheet), so it works the same as on your computer and then post the link.

Hi Greg, Thanks again, How do I do that ?? do I have to insert it into my online site ??, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:11 pm

Providing your test page (i.e. HTML file) does not have the same file name as any other on your site it will be safe to upload it as if it's just another page on your site.

As there won't be any pages that link TO it, then it will remain invisible to the ordinary visitors. (I guess it might have some links that go to the the main site FROM the page - but that won't matter) That's why you need to tell me the URL so I can access it.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:08 am

gregtutor wrote:Providing your test page (i.e. HTML file) does not have the same file name as any other on your site it will be safe to upload it as if it's just another page on your site.

As there won't be any pages that link TO it, then it will remain invisible to the ordinary visitors. (I guess it might have some links that go to the the main site FROM the page - but that won't matter) That's why you need to tell me the URL so I can access it.

Hi Greg, Thanks again, I have uploaded it to http://www.mcfarlanescoachbuilders.com but can not see how I can view it online so I can get your URL so you can see it, again your help appreciated, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:48 am

If your file is named "yourtestfile.html" and you've loaded it to the same folder as the rest of your pages, it will be:
http://www.mcfarlanescoachbuilders.com/yourtestfile.html

so just tell us the name of the file.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:47 pm

Hi Greg, Thanks again, here is the URL" http://www.mcfarlanescoachbuilders.com/testmenu.html" it just dose not look right so what have I done wrong, I have just redone it all over again to make sure I had done it right as per Tutoral ?? Regards DM

Hi Greg, and as you can see my Test page has affected all my Pages as well, but at least the links still work, so what have I done wrong when uploading my Test Page ?? again all your help appreciated, Regards DM
Last edited by Dinoman on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:24 am

Where is the button image (button.gif)? You haven't uploaded it to where the CSS code it should be - in the "images" folder!
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:34 am

gregtutor wrote:Where is the button image (button.gif)? You haven't uploaded it to where the CSS code it should be - in the "images" folder!

Hi Greg, Thanks again, yes the Button Giff is in my Images folder I just checked again and I have uploaded my Images but I will do again just to make sure, Regards DM

Greg I just uploaded my Button Giff again and then checked in the right pant of my FTP program and the Button Giff is definately there ?? so again Thanks, Regards DM
Last edited by Dinoman on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:22 am

Hi DM,

Your CSS code says the image must be located at:
http://www.mcfarlanescoachbuilders.com/images/button.gif
but it clearly isn't as you get a 404 error when you enter to URL above.

I have just looked at the images on your home page and for some reason they are in a folder "images.mcf" NOT "images". Guess what? I checked and that's where you have put the button image!

(Incidentally, there was no need for that test page. Your whole site uses the same CSS file, so this problem is affecting the whole site.)
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi Greg, Thanks again, I changed the nome of my Images folders and redone all my image links so at least now is starting to look better but still no 100% ?? so again any help appreciated.

Also and yes I could see how it had affected all my other pages so how should I have done my test page and kept it seperate from main site ?? again all your help appreciated, Regards DM

Greg, it is starting to look very messy ??, I have been trying to make it fit better by adjusting the sizes etc, but just made it worse, so any help appreciated, Regards DM
Last edited by Dinoman on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:48 am

Dinoman wrote:Also and yes I could see how it had affected all my other pages so how should I have done my test page and kept it seperate from main site ??
You should have made a copy of the CSS file with a new name and made the testfile link to the new version of the CSS file.
it is starting to look very messy ??, I have been trying to make it fit better by adjusting the sizes etc, but just made it worse
I see you have removed the test file so I can no longer check, but from what I remember, during a quick look last night it would seem that you were not paying proper attention to the size of the menu buttons required to fit the button graphic, i.e. the buttons needed to be less wide but deeper.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Hi Greg, Thanks again, now I have a new problem after I kept trying to alter my mes I ended up deleting the lot as it had got completely out of hand, and so now I can not even get back my original design ????, I just do not know what is going on as I have spent hours trying to get my Logo image back in place but whe I go to my images folder in Komposer it is not there ??? , but if I check in windows explorer and open my images there it is I even put in some more copies and reopen komposer neither is there all that is there is my Talbot Lago, Alfa and Buttons, so what is going on I am at my wits end as you can imagine it is doing my head in, so again any help appreciated, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:42 pm

Unfortunately, this time I cannot help, as I can only see what you upload to some public place and not what is happening on your computer.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby wink0r on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:02 am

That sounds like a file extension problem. Right click on one of the copies and choose 'rename'. Rename the image to something like newlogo.jpg. Then open KompoZer and see if the renamed image shows up. Be sure to include the file extension .jpg when you rename the image.
Last edited by wink0r on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
wink0r

Postby Dinoman on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:44 am

wink0r wrote:That sounds like a file extension problem. Right click on one of the copies and choose 'rename'. Rename the image to something like newlogo.jpg. Then open KompoZer and see if the renamed image shows up. Be sure to include the file extension .jpg when you rename the image.

Hi Wink0r, Thanks again, yes I have renamed on of my "Logo" copies to "newlogo.jpg" and now the 2 of them are in my "images Folder" when I am in Komposer and so I can select either , now the only difference I can see from when I have done this before is there is no "Preview" and when I then click OK nothing happens no Logo appears in my Headding box so again what am I doing wrong, or is there another bug in Komposer ?? again any help appreciated, Regards DM

Hi wink0r, I have managed to get it sorted what it seems to the problem was my copies of the logo were invisible to Komposer for some strange reason so when I located my original pic and tried to upload that one it uploaded no problem and as I was doing it I could also see the preview image so I knew it would be all right.

So what is the best format to save my pics in future as I always save as "jpg" and that was always fine, so again Thanks for all your help, much appreciated, Regards DM
Last edited by Dinoman on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinoman

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner Q & A