Home page fine, it is links to other pages???

New to web-building ? Simple answers to "How do I . . .?"

Moderators: BobCP, agsone, Neil Parks, gregtutor, Lem3

Re: Home page fine, it is links to other pages???

Postby Dinoman on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:22 pm

Hi Greg, I have decided to keep my "contact us button" but rename it "Email" and create a new button "contact details" linked to an other page like you suggested, but I do not know how to add another button to my menu bar, again any help appreciated, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:43 pm

Dinoman wrote:I do not know how to add another button to my menu bar
Short answer: Hit the carriage return key.

Remember it is a list! So you do it the same way as you would add a list item in a word processor, or if it was a normal vertical bulleted list in KompoZer...

Get the cursor a the end of the text on any list item (i.e. button) and hit carriage return. That creates a new list item to follow the one where the cursor was.

As your list is styled to run horizontally hitting the CR key will create an unlinked button to the right. It will have the cursor flashing in its centre ready to receive text. Obviously, you'll want to create your additional page first and then add a link to that button to the new page.
Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Helping new users of KompoZer - but using BlueGriffon
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:44 pm

gregtutor wrote:
Dinoman wrote:I do not know how to add another button to my menu bar
Short answer: Hit the carriage return key.

Remember it is a list! So you do it the same way as you would add a list item in a word processor, or if it was a normal vertical bulleted list in KompoZer...

Get the cursor a the end of the text on any list item (i.e. button) and hit carriage return. That creates a new list item to follow the one where the cursor was.

As your list is styled to run horizontally hitting the CR key will create an unlinked button to the right. It will have the cursor flashing in its centre ready to receive text. Obviously, you'll want to create your additional page first and then add a link to that button to the new page.

Hi Greg, Thanks again, I got my new Link up and seems to work fine ??, but sometimes the button next to it will also go black at the same time and also when I click on Gallery the contact.details one will also go black so can you have a look as I have tried everything to sort it but to no avail ???, http://www.mcfarlanescoachbuilders.com again your help appreciated, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:01 pm

If the buttons go black it means there is no link on that button. You don't need a link on a button that points to its own page, but you are meant to have every other button link to the appropriate page.

So on the gallery page add a link to the "contact.details" button.

I am concerned that you have unnecessary and potentially trouble causing dots in both the file names and button text. I suggest you remove them.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:51 pm

gregtutor wrote:If the buttons go black it means there is no link on that button. You don't need a link on a button that points to its own page, but you are meant to have every other button link to the appropriate page.

So on the gallery page add a link to the "contact.details" button.

I am concerned that you have unnecessary and potentially trouble causing dots in both the file names and button text. I suggest you remove them.

Hi Greg, Thanks again, I do not know what I would do with out you, I think it is sorted and I removed the dots as well, it was just that I was not sure whether to have a space or a dot, anyway seems to work fine with a space, so till next time, Thanks again, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:08 pm

You should have spaces for the button text (ordinary English!) but you should NOT have spaces in file names (It can create problems on some servers).

So join the words together in "contactdetails.html" but put a space on the button "about us" - and, on the button text why not be consistent with your capitalisation:

Home | Email | Contact Details | About Us | Projects | Gallery
Last edited by gregtutor on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:48 pm

gregtutor wrote:You should have spaces for the button text (ordinary English!) but you should NOT have spaces in file names (It can create problems on some servers).

So join the words together in "contactdetails.html" but put a space on the button "about us" - and, on the button text why not be consistent with your capitalisation:

Home | Email | Contact Details | About Us | Projects | Gallery

Hi Greg, Thanks again, I have now sorted all my Caps and spacing and looks great, but now my "Contact Details" button jumps down so twice as big as other Buttons, I had a look to see if I could change the Max size for the largest button text but could not see where to change, again your help appreciated, Regards DM

Hi Greg, I went back to your Tutoral and found the answer so again Thanks.

Now my next problem is on my http://www.megasquirtuk.co.uk site I just can not put a nice border around my content area, it looks like it is there but I can not see it, and as I have done same with other site I can not see why not ??? again any help appreciated, Regards DM
Last edited by Dinoman on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:47 pm

Dinoman wrote:Now my next problem is on my http://www.megasquirtuk.co.uk site I just can not put a nice border around my content area, it looks like it is there but I can not see it, and as I have done same with other site I can not see why not ??? again any help appreciated, Regards DM
Mmmm! Not sure where you mean. there are several slightly different page designs on that site some with coloured backgrounds and borders and others, like the Home page, that look reasonable to me without a border round the entire content.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby gregtutor on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:48 pm

Dinoman wrote:Now my next problem is on my http://www.megasquirtuk.co.uk site I just can not put a nice border around my content area, it looks like it is there but I can not see it, and as I have done same with other site I can not see why not ??? again any help appreciated, Regards DM
Mmmm! Not sure where you mean.

There are several slightly different page designs on that site, some with coloured backgrounds and borders and others, like the Home page, that look reasonable to me without a border round the entire content. Explain a little more about what you would like to achieve - and on which page.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:08 pm

gregtutor wrote:
Mmmm! Not sure where you mean.

There are several slightly different page designs on that site, some with coloured backgrounds and borders and others, like the Home page, that look reasonable to me without a border round the entire content. Explain a little more about what you would like to achieve - and on which page.

Hi Greg, that is another thing I do not understand ?? as I am sure I had Exported my Style Sheet ?? so redone that and now most of the pages are following my main design except the Home page ?? the red border will not appear, so again any help appreciated, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:26 pm

Dinoman wrote:another thing I do not understand ?? as I am sure I had Exported my Style Sheet ?? so redone that and now most of the pages are following my main design except the Home page ?? the red border will not appear
That's because, on the home page, you have not assigned the ID "content" to the <div>.

So not only are you not getting the red border, but the yellow background and bolder text too! (As you say, you've exported the stylesheet just fine!)
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:13 pm

gregtutor wrote:
Dinoman wrote:another thing I do not understand ?? as I am sure I had Exported my Style Sheet ?? so redone that and now most of the pages are following my main design except the Home page ?? the red border will not appear
That's because, on the home page, you have not assigned the ID "content" to the <div>.

So not only are you not getting the red border, but the yellow background and bolder text too! (As you say, you've exported the stylesheet just fine!)

Hi Greg, Sorted!!! what would I do with out your help, now one more problem on the MS1 V3 Page there is a dotted border around my "content" box which I have been trying to get rid of can you help, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby gregtutor on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:33 pm

That looks very much like the bug in 0.8b3 surfacing. It happens if your mouse pointer is over the status bar when you cut or copy. It picks up the outline that is displayed when hovering over the status line - and then pastes it.

Click on the big image on that page, then right-click on the <div#main> tag. (You'll see that it is italic, indicating that there is some inline styling applied.) On the menu that appears select "Inline styles" and when the dialogue appears remove the three lines:

outline-color: navy ! important;
outline-style: dashed ! important;
outline-width: 2px ! important;

Click OK and all will be sorted.
Greg Chapman
gregtutor

Postby Dinoman on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:58 pm

gregtutor wrote:That looks very much like the bug in 0.8b3 surfacing. It happens if your mouse pointer is over the status bar when you cut or copy. It picks up the outline that is displayed when hovering over the status line - and then pastes it.

Click on the big image on that page, then right-click on the <div#main> tag. (You'll see that it is italic, indicating that there is some inline styling applied.) On the menu that appears select "Inline styles" and when the dialogue appears remove the three lines:

outline-color: navy ! important;
outline-style: dashed ! important;
outline-width: 2px ! important;

Click OK and all will be sorted.

Hi Greg, Sorted, again Thanks for all your help I would be lost without you, so on to my next problem, as Arnie woud say I will be back, so again Thanks, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby Dinoman on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:19 pm

Hi Greg, my latest attempt is to change my Menu Buttons to your Graphics type as explained in your Tutorial ??? with no luck, I have been trying it on an old copy of one of my sites, I saved your Graphic and put it in my Images folder, but now all I get is is the 3 stage graphic stretched right across the page and the only text that shows above this is "Home" and I am fairly certain I copied and pasted all the new instructions, again any help appreciated, Regards DM
Dinoman

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner Q & A