Existing Site Update

New to web-building ? Simple answers to "How do I . . .?"

Moderators: BobCP, agsone, Neil Parks, gregtutor, Lem3

Existing Site Update

Postby Dinoman on Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:35 pm

Hi Only me again, I have a site my son built many years ago and I would like to start to update,www.ferrarispares.co.uk I was looking at the style Sheet and not sure if it is Exported, as I was thinking to add a wrapper as It comes up huge on my PC screen, so any help appreciated, Regards DM
Dinoman

Re: Existing Site Update

Postby agsone on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:08 pm

http://www.ferrarispares.co.uk/

This would be a great site to start from fresh using Greg's tutorials. At the moment almost all the styles are inline (so need editing individually on each page) and the arrangement of the content is (I think) four levels of tables inside tables. There is an external style sheet but it's contents are minimal and generally overruled by code in the site's pages. Trying to edit this into something easy to maintain would take forever, much better to invest some time on setting up a simple CSS-based page set up with an external style sheet. The header - two columns (one for a menu) - footer approach that I believe Greg discusses would fit perfectly. That done the content could be transferred over and would be simple to maintain.
agsone

Postby Dinoman on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:24 pm

agsone wrote:http://www.ferrarispares.co.uk/

This would be a great site to start from fresh using Greg's tutorials. At the moment almost all the styles are inline (so need editing individually on each page) and the arrangement of the content is (I think) four levels of tables inside tables. There is an external style sheet but it's contents are minimal and generally overruled by code in the site's pages. Trying to edit this into something easy to maintain would take forever, much better to invest some time on setting up a simple CSS-based page set up with an external style sheet. The header - two columns (one for a menu) - footer approach that I believe Greg discusses would fit perfectly. That done the content could be transferred over and would be simple to maintain.

Hi agsone, Thanks, I was half think that, but it was just the amount of content that had we worried, so if I built something like my other site http://www.megasquirtuk.co.uk which Greg and others on Forum helped me lots would that be as good, any help appreciated, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby agsone on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:06 pm

Dinoman wrote:Hi agsone, Thanks, I was half think that, but it was just the amount of content that had we worried, so if I built something like my other site http://www.megasquirtuk.co.uk which Greg and others on Forum helped me lots would that be as good, any help appreciated, Regards DM

There's nothing wrong with using an existing set up that you are happy with. I would however want to be sure that it was completely polished before using it for another site. Note also that you would be moving from a site with a vertical menu to one that is horizontal - that might be an issue if the number of menu items is getting up there.

You'll have to move the content regardless ...
agsone

Postby Dinoman on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:36 pm

agsone wrote:
Dinoman wrote:Hi agsone, Thanks, I was half think that, but it was just the amount of content that had we worried, so if I built something like my other site http://www.megasquirtuk.co.uk which Greg and others on Forum helped me lots would that be as good, any help appreciated, Regards DM

There's nothing wrong with using an existing set up that you are happy with. I would however want to be sure that it was completely polished before using it for another site. Note also that you would be moving from a site with a vertical menu to one that is horizontal - that might be an issue if the number of menu items is getting up there.

You'll have to move the content regardless ...

Hi agsone, Thanks, it is easy to make me happy so what do you think ??, I have now got 18 buttons in my menu and they are overspilling and random looking underneath, what can I do about that as I thought they would just form another neat row underneath.

Also when I have select my content and pasted it in the Tables come as well so again dose not fit on new page, so can I select the contents without the background tables, again any help appreciated, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby agsone on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:29 pm

Dinoman wrote:I have now got 18 buttons in my menu and they are overspilling and random looking underneath, what can I do about that as I thought they would just form another neat row underneath.

Hence my concern about moving from the vertical menu, which can go on forever, to the horizontal one, which can't. I stick with my recommendation of the vertical menu set up, especially with the resource of Greg's site to draw from.
Dinoman wrote:Also when I have select my content and pasted it in the Tables come as well so again dose not fit on new page, so can I select the contents without the background tables, again any help appreciated, Regards DM

The easiest way is to open the old site in a browser, copy the text from the browser window, paste that into KompoZer and tag / restyle as required.
agsone

Postby Dinoman on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:19 pm

agsone wrote:
Dinoman wrote:I have now got 18 buttons in my menu and they are overspilling and random looking underneath, what can I do about that as I thought they would just form another neat row underneath.

Hence my concern about moving from the vertical menu, which can go on forever, to the horizontal one, which can't. I stick with my recommendation of the vertical menu set up, especially with the resource of Greg's site to draw from.
Dinoman wrote:Also when I have select my content and pasted it in the Tables come as well so again dose not fit on new page, so can I select the contents without the background tables, again any help appreciated, Regards DM

The easiest way is to open the old site in a browser, copy the text from the browser window, paste that into KompoZer and tag / restyle as required.

Hi agsone, Thanks again, I think I have managed to get the Menu buttons to work reasonably well ?, but I am struggling with the links from the Menu Buttons,
Thanks for the tip on copying from the browser I will get straight on to that, so again Thanks, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby Dinoman on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:19 pm

Hi agsone, I tried your way of copping from Browser but just was a right mess, still got all the Tables, so what am I doing wrong, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby agsone on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:34 pm

Dinoman wrote:Hi agsone, Thanks again, I think I have managed to get the Menu buttons to work reasonably well ?, but I am struggling with the links from the Menu Buttons,

As I think was mentioned in the megasquirt discussion you shouldn't use spaces and especially periods/full stops in file names - servers will respond unexpectedly to these.
agsone

Postby agsone on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:36 pm

Dinoman wrote:Hi agsone, I tried your way of copping from Browser but just was a right mess, still got all the Tables, so what am I doing wrong, Regards DM

Any copy from a table based website will be a mess, there's no magic bullet. My way gives you the plain text that you can edit into shape without all the html and inline CSS that a copy from the code would carry over.
agsone

Postby Dinoman on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:14 pm

agsone wrote:
Dinoman wrote:Hi agsone, Thanks again, I think I have managed to get the Menu buttons to work reasonably well ?, but I am struggling with the links from the Menu Buttons,

As I think was mentioned in the megasquirt discussion you shouldn't use spaces and especially periods/full stops in file names - servers will respond unexpectedly to these.

Hi agsone, Thanks again got all my Menu Buttons sorted I hope, so again Thanks, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby Dinoman on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:16 pm

agsone wrote:
Dinoman wrote:Hi agsone, I tried your way of copping from Browser but just was a right mess, still got all the Tables, so what am I doing wrong, Regards DM

Any copy from a table based website will be a mess, there's no magic bullet. My way gives you the plain text that you can edit into shape without all the html and inline CSS that a copy from the code would carry over.

Hi agsone, Thanks again, I will try again, so again Thanks, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby wink0r on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:39 pm

If you still have problems you can paste the content into notepad and then recopy that to paste into your pages. Notepad will strip all the formatting from the text.
wink0r

Postby Dinoman on Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:35 pm

wink0r wrote:If you still have problems you can paste the content into notepad and then recopy that to paste into your pages. Notepad will strip all the formatting from the text.

Hi Wink0r, Thanks, yes I have done as you said, pasted into Notepad and yes it is a lot better, but could still do with so way of organizing into 3 columns ie (1) Part Number (2) Item Description (3) price and could also do with somewhere to insert a Thumbnail so we could link to a larger Pic as the say a pic saves a thousand words, as that was where the old Tables were great as you could have one row with lots of cells, so anyway Thanks again and any help appreciated, Regards DM
Dinoman

Postby wink0r on Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:08 pm

That particular application sounds like a proper use for a table. Tables should not be used for the layout of a site but presenting tabular data is a proper use for a table.
Last edited by wink0r on Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wink0r

Next

Return to Beginner Q & A