using log on details to determine view

HTML Source, Tables, CSS, JavaScript, and Embed/Object.

Moderators: BobCP, agsone, Neil Parks, gregtutor, Lem3

using log on details to determine view

Postby kingwill on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:21 am

hi

I've been given a project at work to make MI more visible to teams. My idea is that there is a section on the organisations intranet homepage that shows MI applicable to the team member which is controlled by their log on, i.e. each individual in a team sees their team's MI, while another team see their own.

I'm not asking for instructions how to do it just if this is feasable and how easy it would be to do for an IT professional?

Thanks
kingwill

Re: using log on details to determine view

Postby agsone on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:18 pm

On the assumption that MI is some sort of information or data then yes it should be possible though probably not trivial.

Essentially you are sending each group of team members to their individual site so which page the visitor is forwarded to can be controlled by the database that manages the usernames and passwords.

More simply you could have one page with a link for each team to follow. They only get in to the ones their username and password allow - that still wouldn't be trivial but is a level less complex to set up and administer.

Google "htaccess" for a flavour of the technical side.
agsone

Re: using log on details to determine view

Postby wink0r on Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:24 pm

This is something that php should be able to handle as long as some department information is available in the database. One possibility would be a series of 'if' statements that would allow the right material to be presented to the right users. This could be done either through an include for the content area or redirection to department pages. It would also be possible to personalize the pages with something like 'Welcome User Name'. There may also be other php functions that would be better suited than 'if' statements. I only have a surface knowledge of php and server side scripting.
wink0r

Return to Advanced Design Q & A